Light Cheddar and Whole Wheat Macaroni
Written by Eli Ben-yehudaOn March 23, 2019
Made with whole wheat macaroni, reduced-fat cheese, and fat-free milk, a single serving of this hearty dish is packed with protein, fiber and almost as much calcium as a glass of milk! A DASH Diet delicious recipe that you and your whole family are sure to enjoy.
- 3/4 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Fill a large pot three-fourths full with water and add a pinch of salt. Cook macaroni until al dente.
2. Melt butter in a sauté pan and add panko breadcrumbs. Season with pepper. Keep stirring over medium heat until golden brown. Let cool and add first 1/3 cup of Cheddar until combined.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat and stir in flour, stirring for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, and simmer. Whisk occasionally for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 ½ Cheddar, mustard, thyme and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
4. In a large bowl, stir together macaroni, chicken stock, and sauce. Transfer mixture to baking dish.
5. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese mixture evenly over macaroni and bake in middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Click here for more DASH diet recipes and information.
Written by Eli Ben-Yehuda
With a passion for health advocacy Eli researches and writes many articles concerning improving the lives of people diagnosed with high blood pressure and the complication they experience. He believes educating people is the best way to improve their overall health.
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.